KDF/Eagle Redox FAQ
KDF/Eagle Redox Alloy Explained
Patented Eagle Redox Alloy® media consists of a high purity copper-zinc formulation. These substances exchange electrons or bond with chlorine and other metals contained in the water to create harmless substances.
KDF/Eagle Redox Alloy® is completely safe and meets EPA and FDA standards for levels of zinc and copper in potable water, so the process is not toxic and does not cause any adverse side effects.
- What is Eagle Redox Alloy®?
Eagle Redox Alloy® is a high-purity copper-zinc formulation that uses a basic process known as redox (oxidation/reduction) to remove chlorine, lead, mercury, iron, and hydrogen sulfide from water supplies.
- How does Eagle Redox Alloy® Work?
In short, the Eagle Redox Alloy® redox process works by exchanging electrons with contaminants. This "give and take" of electrons converts many contaminants into harmless components. During this reaction, electrons are transferred between molecules, and new elements are created. Some harmful contaminants are changed into harmless components. Others are electrochemically bound to the Eagle Redox Alloy® media.
- What Contaminants Does Eagle Redox Alloy® Remove?
Eagle Redox Alloy® process media works to reduce or remove chlorine, iron, hydrogen sulfide, lead, mercury, calcium carbonate, magnesium, chromium, bacteria, algae, and fungi. Redox media removes up to 98% of water-soluble cations (positively-charged ions) of lead, mercury, copper, nickel, chromium, and other dissolved metals. In most cases, more than 98% of chlorine is removed if operated within recommended flow rates.
- Will Eagle Redox Alloy® remove Iron from the Water?
Redox media alloys function as catalysts to change soluble ferrous cations (positively-charged ions) into insoluble ferric hydroxide, which can be removed with regular backwashing. With enough oxygen dissolved in the water, iron removal rates of 98 percent or better are common.
- How Does Eagle Redox Alloy® Remove Chlorine from the Water?
High-purity copper-zinc redox media consistently remove 99% of free chlorine by electrochemically reducing dissolved chlorine gas to water-soluble chloride ions.
- How does Eagle Redox Alloy® Remove Hydrogen Sulfide from the Water?
When hydrogen sulfide contaminated water enters the Eagle Redox Alloy® filter, the copper in the Eagle Redox Alloy® media loses an electron and the sulfur gains an electron and copper sulfide and water are formed. The copper sulfide is insoluble in water and can be backwashed off the Eagle Redox Alloy® filter media.
- Will the Eagle Redox Alloy® process media remove heavy metals such as lead from the water?
Eagle Redox Alloy® media removes up to 98% of water-soluble cations (positively-charged ions) of lead, mercury, copper, nickel, chromium, and other dissolved metals. When filtered through Eagle Redox Alloy® media, soluble lead cations are reduced to insoluble lead atoms, which are electroplated onto the surface of the media. Other heavy metals bond to the media and may be recovered when the exhausted media pass through a copper smelter.
- Will the Eagle Redox Alloy® process media control microorganism growth in the water filters?
Eagle Redox Alloy® media are Antimicrobials. The media inhibits bacteria growth (fungi, algae and mold) and reduces lime scale, mold, and fungi. throughout the entire unit. The oxidation/reduction potential (ORP) shift by a factor of -300mV or more for water filtered through redox media controls microorganism growth. Treating water reduces bacteria and other microorganisms by disrupting electron transport, causing cellular damage.
- Eagle Redox Alloy® process media also kill bacteria by direct electrochemical contact and by the flash formation of hydroxyl radicals and hydrogen peroxide, both of which interfere with a microorganism's ability to function.
- Will the Eagle Redox Alloy® filter systems add any toxic substances to the water? Eagle Redox Alloy® process media are completely safe. Eagle Redox Alloy® media meet EPA and Food and Drug Administration standards for levels of zinc and copper in potable water, so the process is not toxic and does not cause any adverse side effects. You may not even realize that Eagle Redox Alloy® process media are working for you. Eagle Redox Alloy® media is the core product of many filtration systems, and can be used in conjunction with other products to provide superior purification.