Shop by Price
Shop by Price
- Preparing (Emergency)
What is a Berkey?
If you are interested in pure great tasting water at an affordable price, and a system that will remove everything bad (including maintenance of a water system), then a Berkey water filter system is what you are looking for. A non-electric and gravity fed water purification system that can be used in your home or in a multitude of normal or emergency situations within minutes. Filtering of water from municipal or open water sources usually take 45-60 minutes from untreated to pure drinkable water.
The Berkey water system is a family of units talented to your water consumption needs and sizes from 1.5 to 6 gallons. The Big Berkey, a 2.25 gallon capacity is most popular Berkey model. The larger sized Berkey systems below provide a larger reserve for your daily and peak consumption needs. Most base their average consumption at 1.5 gallons per day per person in the home, using an average adult weight of 150 lbs.
Each Berkey system uses the standard two Big Black filters (comes with each unit) and can also accomodate optional PF-2 fluoride filters.
Berkey Light non stainless
Features and Benefits
- Black Berkey filters have 3,000 gallon life (6,000 used in pairs, 12,000 used in quadruple)
- Will filter bacteria to a 99.99999% leve land viruses to a 99.9999% level
- Removes Lead, MTBE’s, and other heavy metals up to 95% levels
- Chlorine filtered to undetectable levels
- Black Berkey filters exceed EPA log 7 ANSI / NSF protocols for filtration and are rated as water purifiers
- Optional PF-2 filters removes fluoride and arsenic
- Gravity fed systems requires no plumbing/water hookup
- Highly polished 304 stainless steel shell
- Simple red dye test to determine filter replacement (no expensive water tests)
- In emergencies allows use of non-public water (stream, lake, etc.) water source; recommend use cloth to filter out sediment and large particulates instead of pouring in directly
Ideal for Families; Use during Travel, Outdoor Activities, or Emergencies
- Units come standard with 2 Black Berkey (BB) Purification Elements; and expandable to 4 BB elements
- Storage capacity from 1.5 to 6.0 gallons depending on selected system
- Maximum Filtration Flow Rate (Calculated when upper chamber is full, and decreases as water declines):
- Configured w/two Black Berkey Purification Elements, the Big Berkey can produce up to 3.5 gallons per hour
- Configured w/four Black Berkey Purification Elements, the Big Berkey can produce up to 7.0 gallons per hour
- Normal everyday use, this system easily serves: 1-4 people
- Fully configured during an emergency, this system can serve up to 85-170 people a day
- Maximum Filters: 4 Black Berkey Purification Elements (in upper chamber)
- Big Berkey Dimensions: Height: 19.25"; Diameter: 8.5"; other systems vary in size
- Big Berkey Weight: 7 lbs empty; other systems vary in weight
- Constructed of highly polished AISI 304 stainless steel
- Upper chamber nests within the lower chamber for transport
- System includes upper and lower stainless steel chambers, 2 Black Berkey Purification Elements (expandable up to 4), 1 stainless steel lid,1 spigot, rubber gasket to protect the base, 2 wingnuts, 2 washers, 1 priming button, and 2 blocking plugs
- Up to four PF-2 filters for fluoride and arsenic can be installed in the lower system chamber if desired
Two Black Berkey (BB) Purification Elements/filters are astandard with each system purchase. The optional PF-2 Fluoride Reduction Filters are also available for use in your Berkey system.
- Black Berkey (Filters) Purification Elements (Systems come with 2, you can install up to 4 for extended capacity and faster processing).
- PF-2 Flouride Reduction Filters (Note you must have equal number of Black Berkey Filters and PF-2's for maimum effectiveness.
Black Berkey™ Filter/Element Purification Test Results:
Black Berkey™ Purification Elements are more powerful than any other gravity filter element currently available. The Elements have a unique purification capability due to their unique structure. The Black Berkey® Element micro-pores are so small that viruses and pathogenic bacteria are removed.
Many water filters claim to be a water purifier, but do not meet the performance specifications required for this classification. To be classified as a water purifier, a water treatment device meet performance removal specifications of at least 99.9999% of pathogenic bacteria and at least reduce viruses by 99.99%. The Black Berkey® Purification Elements are classified as water purifiers because they remove 99.9999999% of pathogenic bacteria and 99.999% of viruses, greater tha established standards.
The Black Berkey®Purification Element formulation has been tested by State and EPA accredited laboratories to exceed NSF/ANSI Standard 53 (correct??).
The Black Berkey™ Purification Element test reports have confirmed to remove or greatly reduce the following contaminants:
- Viruses >99.999%
- Exceeds Purification Standard (Log 4): MS2 Coliphage – Fr Coliphage
- PATHOGENIC BACTERIA SURROGATE >99.9999%
- Exceeds Purification Standard (Log 6): Raoultella terrigena
- TRIHALOMETHANES – Removed to >99.8%
- Below Lab Detectable Limits: Bromodichloromethane, Bromoform, Chloroform, Dibromochloromethane
- Chlorine Residual (Total Residual Chlorine): Removed to below Lab detectable limits
- Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs): Removed to below Lab detectable limits
Test Results: Chemical; Biological; Inorganic; and Organic
PF-2 Flouride Reduction Filters
The Proprietary Fluoride Reduction Media is a new and improved high yield aluminum oxide especially formulated for the removal of fluoride and arsenic from drinking water. This media has an unusually high surface area of more than 350 sq.m./gram of material which allows more efficient removal of the Fluoride and arsenic ions. This high surface area is enhanced by controlled development of the pore size distribution from 30 Angstroms to 100 Angstroms, providing greater accessibility to the surface active sites through bulk diffusion. Uniform particle size low silica content and high purity, is characteristic of the new and improved Proprietary Fluoride Reduction Media which insures effective operation in the reduction of Fluoride. The extremely low silica content significantly reduces the tendency of the silica to form silicone tetra fluoride which reacts with both the media and the pipes leading to clogging and corrosion problems.
1. Calcium & Sodium Fluoride. The Proprietary Fluoride Reduction Media will remove any types of inorganic fluoride salts. All fluoride salts are soluble in water. So it does not matter what fluoride salts that are in the water, fluoride is present as an anion where the media will absorb fluoride ions in water.
2. Hydro-Fluorosilicic Acid (HFS). We do not have any test data to show how efficient the Proprietary Fluoride Reduction Media will remove hydro-fluosilicic acid. But by adsorption of fluoride anion using alumina, we believe the media will remove hydro-fluosilicic acid better than fluoride. The reason is both compounds are ions with negative charges. The molecular size of hydrofluosilicic acid is much larger than the fluoride ion and hydrofluosilicic acid has two negative charges where as fluoride has only one negative charge. So this negative charge makes hydrofluosislicic acid much easier to adsorb to the media compared to regular fluoride ions.
3. NMCL obtains its Proprietary Fluoride Reduction Media from a third party that manufactures specialized media that targets difficult to remove contaminates, such as fluoride and arsenic.